Monday, March 12, 2012

Pincushion

I wasted a bit of time on Pinterest this weekend and was inspired to make a new pincushion (here is a link for pincushions on Pinterest). The one that inspired me was the pincushion at the bottom of this blog.


I have a bunch of these old metal Christmas light reflectors (from my SIL) that I thought would work in place of a metal tart tin,


and some old lace and pieces of cut up handkerchiefs from crazy quilting, so I was ready to get started.


I used two layers of cloth,


and added some lace edging. I used "iron away" stabilizer underneath when I added decorative machine stitching to join the layers, and then added some beads and buttons. I hand stitched around the edge to gather the circle.


I used a small bit of wool batting for the stuffing, along with a washer (for shape and weight) and a fishing weight (to make it even heavier).


I glued the whole thing together. I will add some ribbon around the pincushion to fill in between the metal and fabric, and a piece of rubber on the bottom.
I will be out volunteering for the next three days (no sewing!), but will show a picture (hopefully one that isn't blurry like this one) when it is finished.



I did try out the pincushion in a few other containers to see what it would look like. I decided to stay with the metal one because it wouldn't break if (more like 'when') it was knocked over!


It is not like I needed another pincushion! Pinterest is addictive!!


We have been having warm temperatures and the snow is melting fast - yeah!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...