Monday, March 21, 2011

Finished Quilt and Some Blocks

I finished the Harvest Diamond lap quilt.

I just had to hand stitch the binding down today. A quilt in just over a weekend - I could have finished it in a weekend if it wasn't for things like laundry, making meals....

Feathered wreaths in the large diamonds and

large meandering for the background.

I tried a new wool batting for this quilt. The one on the left is Hobbs Tuscany wool - my favorite batting, and the one on the right is the one I tried. It is much thinner than the Hobbs batting, although I can't really tell it is just because the Hobbs is fluffier. I usually buy the Hobbs batting for around $25/meter, and the new one was $19/meter (from Marshall's in Winnipeg).

Update - I forgot to mention that because the quilt was so thin, it was very easy to quilt - it fit under the machine beautifully and it was easier to maneuver. Also it is easier for new machine quilters (on DSM) to quilt with less puffy batting - so this works well.

I guess the determining factor if I use it again will be how it washes. The Hobbs wool washes beautifully.
I used flannel for the backing and the quilt came out to a nice weight.

Today I made some blocks (8½" - 8" finished). Beth (at Love Laugh Quilt) asked people to help her make quilts for Japan (here is the link for all the information and block instructions), I'll get these in the mail tomorrow - they need to arrive by April 4th, 2011.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...