Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Block #9

This one is called Kansas Troubles (it is in EQ6/7, remember to make it 9" if you are using EQ instructions).

For this one you will need -

Background -
2 - 5+3/8" squares, cut in half on the diagonal
8 - 2" squares for the half square triangles (HST)
4 - 1+5/8" squares

Print A (mine is green) -
12 - 2" squares - 8 for the half square triangles (HST) and 4 cut in half on the diagonal

Print B (mine is red) -
2 - 3+1/8" squares cut in half on the diagonal

Make the half square triangles with the 2" squares of background and print A (in the usual way - draw a diagonal line, sew ¼" seam on either side, cut on the line). Trim all 16 HST to 1+5/8" squares.

With the HST make four units like the ones on the left in the picture, by sewing two HST's together, and four units like the ones on the right in the picture, by sewing two HST's and a 1+5/8" square together. Pay attention to the directions of the HST's - see picture.

Sew the HST units to the print B triangles. First sew the "two HST unit" to one short side of the triangle and then sew the "two HST and small square" units to the other short side of the triangle.

Next add two print A triangles (made from the four 2" squares cut in half) to the triangle units.

Sew the large background triangles to the triangle units. The finished units should measure 5" square.

All the units are ready to be sewn together.

I pressed the center in the spiral technique so that the block would lay flat.

This picture is from block #5, to show the spiral pressing.

You will notice that there is only one block so far- I should have called this block "Joanne's Troubles"! I always seem to have a problem with little triangles! I love blocks with them, but can never seem to get them right. Feathered stars are one of my favorite - but it defeats me!! I have been wanting to try a Kansas Troubles block and was a little apprehensive over all the little triangles, but I thought this would be a perfect opportunity. This is my problem and I am sure you will have better luck!! I will finish the second one tomorrow.

Just to let everyone know, next Wednesday I will post Block#10 and then we will take a break for Christmas. In the New Year we will continue with the ten remaining blocks. The well deserved break will give every one - at least me! - an opportunity to make the alternating blocks.
If you are thinking of joining in - please do - never too late! Check out some of the other options for fewer blocks.

Update -

I made the second block - much easier - the secret is making sure the pieces are accurately cut (and units trimmed) and keeping an accurate ¼" seam!! Who knew!! LOL
To make this one different I spiraled it the other way.

Good Luck!☺
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!! ♥
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...